Skip to main content
Submitted by
Tue, 03/29/2011 - 12:53

This weekend I went into my garage and checked the battery on my motorcycle, knowing that it would be low because I have not ridden it in a while. Several reasons that I haven't ridden include the fact that the office at work is STILL being renovated, the weather has been very wet here in Northern California and I don't have anyone close by to ride with.

So when I go in there, I press the key in, and turn the ignition on, flip through the dash computer to the battery status page and note that the batter is sitting at about 8.4v.

I think to myself that this is not too teribly bad, and I clamp my charger onto the battery post and the frame and then plug it into the wall. I set the charger for a 2A charge and leave it sit.

After just a couple of hours, I go check on it; not quite 11v so we're getting there, but if I take the charger off, and start the bike, there will not be enough juice to start it a second time. Say if I were to take it for a ride, so I leave it attached over night.

I go out and check it first thing in the morning. Everything seems fine. I disconnect the charger, turn the ignition on, and the display reads somewhere around 13v, that should be ok as it reads 14.1v when I'm riding it. So I thumb the starter and it clicks like the battery is dead, I turn the ignition off and back on and I get an Immobilizer error.

Immobilizer Error, what the heck does that mean?

Gah, looks like I need to take it back to the shop and find out what is going on. We shall see.


DISCLAIMER: This is a personal Web site, produced in my own time and solely reflecting my personal opinions. Statements on this site do not represent the views or policies of my employer, past or present, or any other organization with which I may be affiliated. All content is copyrighted.